Here’s a quiz for you.
These are all first verses of a book of the Bible. The challenge? To see how many books you can identify from that one verse. Younger kids (non-readers) couldn’t do this, but older kids should be able to get a least some of them.
I would suggest …
* Give your older kids an opportunity to see how many books they can identify.
* Do it with them and see how many you can identify as a family.
* Look up various Bible books to see if your guess is good.
* Check back tomorrow and see the answers.
1. Blessed is the man
who walks not in the counsel of the wicked,
nor stands in the way of sinners,
nor sits in the seat of scoffers;
2. In the days when the judges ruled there was a famine in the land, and a man of Bethlehem in Judah went to sojourn in the country of Moab, he and his wife and his two sons.
3. 1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
4. The revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave him to show to his servants[a] the things that must soon take place. He made it known by sending his angel to his servant John,
5. In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth.
6. 1 Inasmuch as many have undertaken to compile a narrative of the things that have been accomplished among us.
7. Now in the days of Ahasuerus, the Ahasuerus who reigned from India to Ethiopia over 127 provinces.
8. Now the word of the Lord came to Jonah the son of Amittai, saying,
9. 1 In the third year of the reign of Jehoiakim king of Judah, Nebuchadnezzar king of Babylon came to Jerusalem and besieged it.
10. Paul, an apostle—not from men nor through man, but through Jesus Christ and God the Father, who raised him from the dead—