The Apostle Peter wrote: Be sober-minded; be watchful. Your adversary the devil prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour.
Most kids love animals – cuddly, little animals and growly, big animals. And if you ask kids to name their favorite wild animal (as I recently did), many will say lion.
Lions are mentioned several places in the Bible. Probably one of the most familiar is 1 Peter 5:8 where Satan is compared to a roaring lion.
What a great study to do with kids – to compare the characteristics of a roaring lion with those of Satan himself.
Here are a few roaring lion qualities to get you started …
1, Lions do a lot of their hunting at night. (When the world is dark and his prey has difficulty seeing him coming.)
2. Lions have exceptional hearing. They can hear their prey a mile away.
3. Lions attack from every side. Nothing is safe.
4. Lions look for the most vulnerable animal to attack.
5. Lions don’t care what they destroy – they will eat their own cub if they’re hungry enough.
6. Lions are patient, waiting for the right moment to attack.
7. Lions are adept at enticing their prey into danger.
8. Lions are good at sneaking about, and when spotted, stand motionless, waiting.
Compare the lion’s characteristics with Satan’s characteristics. If your kids are older, you could watch a video of an attacking lion from Youtube – but again, I wouldn’t show this to younger kids. If you decide to watch a video, I would check it out beforehand to make sure that it’s appropriate for your family. Watching a video gives a not-to-be-forgotten description of 1 Peter 5:8.