Resolutions and Renewal

man with fireworks
Photo by Rakicevic Nenad on Pexels.com

So, how are those New Year’s resolutions doing? Although a lot of people talk about them, I don’t think very many people actually do them or do them very seriously.

Oh, I know that a lot of people start diets … and it’s true that gym memberships greatly spike the first of the year. (Though 80 percent drop out within five months, congratulations to the other 20%.) After the top two “get healthier” resolutions, #3 is save more money. Hmmm … not sure how long that lasts either.

For other people, September is the month to write down goals and resolutions because of the start of a new school year and often a new ministry year seems like a more logical time to strike out on a new path.

I don’t make resolutions, though I do sometimes make lists. (Like reading a 100 books during the year. This year I made it to 96.)

The thing is, for many people New Year resolutions aren’t taken very seriously. Even though people really, truly want to do the things they write down, often it’s difficult to get the motivation to do so.

But here’s something comforting and praiseworthy.

As Christians, we are renewed day by day. 1 Corinthians 4:16.  So we do not lose heart. Though our outer self[ is wasting away, our inner self is being renewed day by day. This is a passive promise – This is not physical renewal, but spiritual renewal that God provides for us without us doing a thing. We don’t need a gym membership or a new bank account to be renewed …

But we’re not without responsibility.

Romans 12:2 says: Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.

Our responsibility is to use what God has already provided. Our inner self is renewed, now we have to discern the will of God, and to renew our minds to do that which is good, acceptable and perfect. In other words, live the way God would have us live.

And that’s something we can do everyday. We don’t have to wait until September, January lst, or a membership sale down at the local fitness center.

We simply need to accept what God has already done for us and renew our minds, desiring to obey His Word.

And, not only is that a comforting and praiseworthy message for us … but also for us to pass on to our kids.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s